1.14.2010

Deep Thoughts: So 1993

Marc then and now

I discovered a letter I wrote to myself in 1993 while sorting through the piles of junk I've accumulated over the years in my Mom's basement. After slogging through nearly two pages compiling the boys I liked in excruciating detail, I came across this sentence, "I still don't really dress the way I want to, but who knows if I ever will?" Even at 12 I understood the yearning to transform and the seemingly magical powers fashion plays as a catalyst. Coincidentally, I've been reminiscent of the early 90's as of late because I'm uncharacteristically feeling a grunge moment.

It was a time of epic changes on the fashion front, 1992 was the year Marc got sacked from Perry Ellis for showing his revolutionary, now cult collection. Repurposing looks the cool kids were already rocking and presenting them to the cardigan sweater set certainly isn't ground-breaking now, but back then it was an unholy union, one even Jacobs himself described as "a little fucked-up." Layers upon layers of thermals, florals, flannels and big down vests topped off with the obligatory cozy knit hat created an uproar, women weren't sure how to respond to a $1200 dress that looked plucked from vintage store anonymity.

Fortunately we all know this story has a happy ending, and I'll be thanking Marc as I'm dusting off my old Docs and piling on a jumble of harmonious textures and prints. Maybe it's a desire to placate the girl in me who never dressed this way the first time around or maybe the overwhelming runway resurgence of this sartorial gem finally seeped onto my radar. Either way, I've discovered the revealing part about looking back is how often it then propels you forward.

Not fortunate (or old) enough to still have the goods from the first time around? Try these:
  • Thermals and henleys are great for layering
  • Flannel (I'm partial to an oversized Men's version)
  • If you're really going for street cred, you gotta shred denim yourself. But fear not fellow lazies, Current/Elliott comes to the rescue
  • Docs or Fryes?
  • Albeit grown up and more refined this time around, but hands down, nothing beats Marc dresses

No comments:

Post a Comment