3.18.2010

Inspired By: Garance's Basics

Garance's top 10 basics list got us giddy with excitement. The chance to combine two of our favorite things: fashion AND making lists? Kristin and I could barely write fast enough, attacking this task with an almost disturbing intensity. Here's our version:

Kristin's 10 Basics
1. Leggings. Black. Full length. My favorite are the Kova&T Pepper Leggings.
2. A flat riding boot. I prefer black. I've had a pair from Banana Republic made from insanely beautiful leather for five years. I've never found any that I like more, so I just keep getting them re-soled.
3. A very long scarf. It's extremely versatile and a good place to throw in some color.
4. A dark skinny jean. I think the best leg opening is either 10" or 12" with at least an 8" rise for comfort. My favorites are the Acne Hex in DC.
5. V-neck t-shirts in black, heather grey and white. Nothing compares to T by Alexander Wang.
6. Blazer. I still rock a black one I got at Gap in college. It's timeless, and easy to throw over any look.
7. A black skinny belt. Looks good with pants, dresses or tunics.
8. A medium size handbag that can take you from day to night. Made from good leather and doesn't have much branding or hardware. My favorite leather bags are from leather markets in Italy. I love when everyone tries to guess what designer it is, and the reality is that I bought it from an old man on the street who made it himself. Ashley Watson is a close second with her bags made from recycled leather jackets.
9. A cozy sweater. I have a honeycomb knit tunic from Temperley that I wear at least 3 times a week in the winter.
10. A pop piece.
I think every woman should have a staple that she can throw on for a little color or to make a statement. For me, it's my Dolores Tank from Acne. It's a simple violet colored tank dress, but it always stands out amongst my normally black/grey look. I wear it alone, under jackets or tucked into skirts. Sometimes I just wear it under a t-shirt with leggings.

Bekah's 10 Basics
1) J Brand skinnies. No branding, no tag, just classic denim. I've never found a better pair.
2) Black leggings. My favorites are SoLow and YaYa. Investing in a higher quality pair is key, so they don't lose their shape after the millionth wearing.
3) Oversized cardigans. Living in sub-zero temperatures puts a damper on my uniform of tanks so layering is important. Currently in heavy rotation are my Marc, Rebecca Taylor and Vince.
4) Chuck Taylors.
5) Flat riding boots in brown and black. My disdain for heels make these a must and they tone down my obsessive love for the scandalously short. My favorites are the Loeffler Randall Matilde boot (in snakeskin and plain) and Frye Paiges.
6) Gold necklace. A lifetime of begging my mother for her cursive 'B' necklace, a gift from her mother, finally wore her down and she gave it to me for Christmas this year. I never take it off.
7) Bop Basics. I live in the super soft raglan crews and burnout tees.
8) Loose, fluid tanks. I have about 15 black variations.
9) Aviators.
10) A perfectly worn in hoodie. As an avid member of the religion of brunch, speed is key when dressing Sunday mornings. I throw on a cozy sweatshirt (hood up) and sunglasses and I'm out the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment