10.12.2009

Deep Thoughts: Evolution

I borrowed a friend's impossibly chic leather jacket Saturday night, and along with my typical uniform of all black and A. Wang, it provided an interesting contrast to my new, as said friend put it, "jersey manicure." Essie's Bermuda Shorts didn't look so uh...hookerish in the bottle, I swear! But the leather jacket got me thinking about those must-have pieces that seem to take on their own personalities and have magical abilities to evolve one's entire personal style. Some of us are lucky enough to look back and point to those 'aha' moments in our style history, those fond memories of a fantastic item that sent us careening down the rabbit hole with nary a glance over our shoulders.

I remember mine with unsettling accuracy. It was my quarter life birthday and I was headed to dinner in Tribeca. As my companion tipped the maitre d, I looked down at the Loeffler Randall snakeskin boots I'd been stalking for months. They'd arrived earlier that day and as my doorman handed me the package I could barely maintain a polite demeanor before seeking sanctuary in the elevator and ripping them open with an enthusiasm usually reserved for lottery and superbowl winners. The flat boots quickly became my go to, everyday shoes because they managed to elevate the simplest, most mundane outfit into something special, not to mention they greatly lessened the pain of walking around the city.

So, although my beloved boots forever changed how I got dressed in the morning, my sartorial light bulb item was over three years ago and I've been on the hunt for a new love ever since. The following are currently under careful consideration:

Ashley Watson
ACNE jeans
T Dress

Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment