10.23.2009

Deep Thoughts: Inspiration

A visit to my parent's house always includes a nostalgic trip down memory lane. When my sister and I found this picture recently, we couldn't stop laughing. I'm hamming it up for the camera in my matching ice-cream cone shirt and pink pants, while she's rocking some high-waisted jeans and practicing her petulance for junior high. Aside from the unsettling fact that every boy we've ever dated has worn a slight variation of my father's outfit, I'm finding myself unable to look away from this photo. I'm wistful for that unbridled enthusiasm that only being seven years old can bring. I also remember how much I adored that outfit and hope to translate that excitement into my current uninspired, apathetic state of mind.

Forget about December 31st, the changing leaves and crisp chill in the air has always felt more like the start of a new year to me. And normally, the excitement of reinventing my look and starting fresh each fall carries me through the long, cold winter months, but this year I've seemed to hit a wall and it's only October! I'm having a hard time finding those pieces that I can't live without, the ones that stimulate and revive and remind me why I love fashion in the first place. Luckily most of my friends work in the industry in some form or another, so inspiration is within my reach. I can pull on my vintage rubber riding boots, brave the rain and stroll into Atticus. Or if I'm feeling lazy, which let's face it, I always am, I can peruse online lookbooks and get click-happy on style.com and my girl-crush favorite fashionista.com.

Am I forgetting anything? Where do you go for inspiration?

1 comment: